Optimizing a tank mesh

I found a free tank model on Turbosquid with a royalty free license and I’ve decided to reduce the total number of polygons so that it may be used in a game engine like Unity or Unreal. Below is an image of the original High-poly mesh.

 

M1AbramsTankOriginal

#Polygons: 209,797

Credit for this model goes to kaelibaen.

 

So far, I’ve deleted edges on the flat areas of the treads;

optimizeTreadsBeforeoptimizeTreadsAfter

Before                                               After

 

Merged vertices on the corners of the view-ports;

optimizeViewportsBeforeoptimizeViewportsAfter

Before                                               After

 

Deleted edges in the middle of both gears;

optimizeGearBeforeoptimizeGearAfter

Before                                               After

 

Deleted edges on the inner parts of the wheels;

optimizeWheelsBeforeoptimizeWheelsAfter

Before                                              After

 

Deleted edges on the front armor covering the treads;

optimizeTreadCoveringBeforeoptimizeTreadCoveringAfter

 

Deleted edges on the rear.

optimizeHolesBeforeoptimizeHolesAfter

Before                                               After

 

And on parts of the railing surrounding the turret.

cageConnectorsBeforecageConnectorsAfter

Before                                               After

 

Reduced #polygons: 207,568